Saturday, April 23, 2011

How to Add a Grab Button to Your Sidebar

Every once in a while I get bored with my blog design and start tinkering with it.  This is a scary proposition because I've had the old design for nearly a year now and once things start changing, there's really no turning back. Goodbye old blog design. Been nice knowing you.  
As it turned out, I decided I just couldn't let go of the black background. So I added a new header.  And while I was at it I designed a grab button and added it to my sidebar. Don't know what a grab bar is? Like a blog roll, a grab button is a colorful way to link to your favorite blogs. It's a square badge with a little bit of computer code in a text box underneath it.
  
Here's how to add a grab button to your Blogger blog.


Locate the HTML code in the text box under the button in the sidebar. Copy it. (Ctrl C)
Go into your blog and click on the "design" tab.
Select Add Gadget
Select add HTML/Javascript
Paste code (Ctrl V) in the text field
Hit Save 


The link will appear in your sidebar.  That's all there is to it.  You're ready start sharing the link love. 

4 comments:

  1. I just recently discovered your blog and appreciate your recent post on "How to Add a Grab Button to Your Sidebar". I have awarded you a Versatile Blogger Award. (Check out my latest post for details).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about changing up my blog, but I remember the mess I got into last time I tried. It was a mess for a while and couldn't go backward. So I'll get to it one of these days but I'm not rushing. As for the button - I get nervous whenever anyone tells me to mess with the html stuff. I'm so clueless. If my son's around to rescue me I'll try anything, but he's never here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Janis I'm going to add a post on how to make and install your own garb button next week and hope you stop by.
    Phyl, I remember when you had all those problems with your blog, what happened and how did you resolve it?
    Installing a grab button is an good place to start because there are only two possible outcome (it works or it doesn't work). The gadget can't do anything to your blog.
    Except of course get you started changing things, rearranging things, moving things around, and before you know it you have a whole new blog! (maybe you'd better not, Phyl)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete