Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wilmington, Vermont






























These photos were shot on Main Street in Wilmington, Vermont.  I don't work in Wilmington, but this town is in our district (or Supervisory Union as we say here in Vermont).  My school is on the opposite side of the Reservoir.    If you are familiar with Wilmington...you've probably eaten at Dot's Diner.  That is Dot's in the photo above.  You can see the balcony on the back of the restaurant just barely above water.
The water has gone down in Wilmington, but I can only imagine what it left behind in the way of clean-up.
My school is scheduled to open on Tuesday...don't know how I'll get there yet because the bridge is still out and the road up the mountain is closed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to see all of the damage, and for the loss of a bridge so meaningful to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking at photos online and today saw a video of someone riding through deep water on a jet-ski in what I first thought was a parking lot, but then I noticed a basketball hoop sticking out of the water, so it must be a ball court. Anyhow, there was a school behind the water, and it turns out it was a pic of the Lake George school.

    It just seems like such a mess EVERYWHERE. I can't fathom how everything will get cleaned up. Our Loon Lake "camp" was destroyed by a wind storm in 1994, with multiple trees uprooted and on the roof, and it took a year to get it all taken down, and another year to rebuild, though even now there are still things that never quite got finished. I can't imagine what it would have been like if it was our regular residence that we were trying to rebuild, and not just a summer home. So sad.

    ReplyDelete