Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pattern Block Find


















When I spied these in the "teacher's tag sale" my heart skipped a beat because I've been secretly longing for a zillion pattern blocks for quite some time.  I know I don't have one square inch of free space in the supply closet, but so what?  I grabbed them and ran.
Here are the pattern blocks having a bath in my kitchen sink.
And now they're all set to go.  Aren't they scrumptious?



Why pattern blocks?  Because they teach spatial reasoning, visualization, symmetry, slides, turns, problem solving, sorting, colors, 2-D geometric shapes, attributes, and of course, pattern making. Wow! And yes we're just about to start thinking about shape as an element of art so....

Here are some links to pattern block cards that you can download for free.  

Here are some on-line pattern block sites for playing on-line

Happy Patterning!

5 comments:

  1. I have a bucket of them that another teaching was dumping. I love them for centers/when students finish early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel. I LOVE my pattern blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love pattern blocks and pieces of felt cut in different shapes. Not together though:-) However, I use them in basically the same way. We have Art, Music and PE together every Friday and pattern blocks are always one of the centers. Love your art dice idea also!! Best,Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also found a whole bunch of them in the give-away pile in our teacher's lounge. I didn't know what to do with them, but they look great for teaching math/color/pattern, etc. And for "I'm done" time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pattern blocks. I have tons of them and love them. There are so many neat ideas for kindergarten students to use! Thanks for the websites that you shared.

    ReplyDelete