Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vermont Farms and Barns


Artists are off to a good start drawing Vermont Landscapes.  I think they did a great job, perhaps because it's a subject near and dear to our hearts.  This lesson was inspired by Josette Brower at  Georgetown Elementary Art.  Our learning objective was to practice drawing 3-D shapes, cubes and cylinders, and to draw a barn and silo in perspective.  We practiced once and then kids started their paintings.  No under drawing was necessary.     The only rule I gave the kids about the project was that the barn could be placed anywhere on the page except the very bottom of the paper.  We talked about leaving room for the animals to get in and out of the barn, and I wanted my youngest artists to experience creating space in their landscapes. 

Josette's students placed their barns in a winter landscape, but I think we'll go for spring so we can put the green in the Green Mountain State. Here are some examples of first, second, and third grade work.  Can you tell which is which...hmmmm.

Kids love learning to draw basic forms using perspective.  It's so exciting and this project was a big hit....Thanks Josette Brower!  Can't wait to add color.
  







11 comments:

  1. Barb, these are fabulous! I love that it is just ONE step - direct painting. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phyl! Thanks for dropping by. Sounds like you had a great time at the convention...sorry I missed it.

    By the looks of the comments today, I'm very popular with Australian Electricians. Wonder what that's all about?

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, can't wait to see these barns in a spring landscape! Thanks for the shout-out to my Georgetown artists, and loving your kiddo's barns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great works!!! I'm ready to head to Vermont again this summer, and these scenes only make me wish for it more. I'm taken with each one! Best, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm lots of comments from security guards and electricans. Wonder what's up with that?

    ReplyDelete